Recipes to Add Fibre to Your Diet: Tasty Hummus Dips
These mouth-watering dips are an easy, delicious and healthy way of packing more fibre into your diet. Try them as an appetiser or carry them with you to have as a tasty snack. Bursting with fresh flavours, these dips will be a favourite for adults and children alike. Chickpeas are packed with both soluble and insoluble fibre; half a can contains 12.5g of fibre, half the recommended daily intake.
Lemon & Coriander Hummus
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (reserve a few chickpeas for decoration)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 or 3 tablespoons water (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- Juice from half a large lemon
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor with the tahini, crushed garlic, sea salt and lemon juice.
- Turn on the food processor and while it’s running slowly pour in the olive oil.
- If you find the mixture too thick, add 2 or 3 tablespoons of water and process until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Once the mixture is smooth, fold in the coriander leaves and stir well to combine.
- Spoon the hummus into a bowl and decorate with a drizzle of olive oil, a few chickpeas and a sprig of coriander.
Pair these dips with vegetable sticks — carrots, cucumber and celery are great options — and take them with you on the go.
Use the dips as a spread to replace mayonnaise or butter in pittas, wraps and sandwiches.
Getting your family to eat healthy food has never been so easy — place a couple of dips on the table and watch the veggies disappear!